Search

Four Books to Blow Your Mind!

Books | Mind | Impact | 03rd February 2022 | Virtual Wire

 

Picture -https://hcommons.org/


“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge”.

That’s what the author of the series of epic fantasy novels A Song of Ice and Fire, which were later adapted into the Game of Thrones; has to say. Well, Mr. George RR Martin couldn’t have explained the relevance of books in a much better way. For my money, books provide massive perspectives on almost anything that’s relevant on the planet earth. Many times, over I’ve been proved wrong on how I thought things work or should work, what’s good or bad and all those endless conflicts that humans find themselves in their lives.


They also significantly helped me in both physical and mental development. Long story short, a way of life in a few pages. Change never stops and so should our learning. So here goes the list of Top 5 books that will surely blow your mind:


FACTFULNESS by Hans Rosling, Anna Rosling and Ola Rosling

Picture -https://media.wired.co.uk/


Seriously, not the one you can afford to miss! Professor of International Health and global TED phenomenon Hans Rosling, together with his two long-time collaborators, Anna and Ola will make you realize how humans are wrong about the global facts. So wrong that a chimpanzee choosing answers at random will consistently outguess teachers, journalists, Nobel laureates, and investment bankers.


Inspiring and revelatory, filled with lively anecdotes and moving stories, Factfulness is an urgent and essential book that will change the way you see the world and empower you to respond to the crises and opportunities of the future.


MINDSET by Carol S. Dweck

Picture -https://hyperweb.com.au/


Have you ever wondered why the world is often divided into the top 1% and the other 99%? How those 1% think, act and react. If this boggles you then you’re reading the right article.

After decades of research, world-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D., discovered a simple but ground-breaking idea: the power of mindset.


In the book, she explains how success in school, work, sports, the arts, and almost every area of human endeavour can be dramatically influenced by how you think about your abilities. People with a fixed mindset - those who believe that abilities are fixed — are less likely to flourish than those with a growth mindset — those who believe that abilities can be developed.


THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coehlo

Picture -hollywoodreporter.com/


Wait for what? A fable!! How can a fictional story be on the list? Haha, you guessed it right. It is fable on following your dream. So now the question may arise how is that something which will blow my mind. But as childish it may sound, following a dream and achieving is never an easy task. The top 1% that I mentioned earlier was none but the ones who had the guts to live out their dreams with the required sacrifices, determination and perseverance.


This book sums it all through a beautiful story about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago, who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried near the Pyramids. Along the way, he meets a Romany woman, a man who calls himself a king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the right direction for his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or whether Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles in his path, but what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of treasure within. Well if it has ignited your curiosity by now, why not give it a read.


THE FOUR AGREEMENTS by Don Miguel Ruiz

Picture -sloww.co/


One of the most underrated books of all time! Less than 150 pages which can be an easy read but full of deep, intriguing and challenging expressions. Don Miguel reveals the source of self-limiting beliefs that robs people of eternal joy and create a void that never fills easily. Based on Toltec Wisdom which refers to women and men of knowledge in southern Mexico, which hasn’t been a hot topic in the philosophy world; can be a mind-boggling guide for you if you look to transform your life into a new experience of freedom, true happiness and love.




193 views4 comments

Recent Posts

See All