Health | Body | 18th September 2021 | Virtual Wire
Have you ever tried to listen to what your body wants to say to you? Maybe it's time. There are tones of health issues that are being registered each day. Diabetes, high and low blood pressures, cholesterol, heart attacks and the list counts more.
Earlier, these sorts of issues were diagnosed in elderly people but now, even a 10-year-old has diabetes and 22-year-old dies of a heart attack. Have you ever thought about why is this happening in this era? Well, then let’s put on some light on the terms overweight and obesity. This is a problem which we don’t pay attention to.
What Are Overweight and Obesity?
Both the terms overweight and obesity mean the same with a slight variance in its effect on your health but to be precise enough overweight or obesity, affect your health condition. Overweight or obesity refers to a body weight that is greater than what is considered normal/ healthy for a certain height of a person. It is the result of excessive fat accumulation that impairs health.
A person is said to be overweight or obese on the basis of their BMI (Body-Mass Index) value. You can calculate your BMI value at Adult BMI Calculator. According to the World Health Organization (WHO),
· BMI value less than 18.5 is considered as Underweight.
· BMI value 18.5 to 25 is considered as Healthy Weight.
· BMI value 25 to 30 is considered as Overweight.
· BMI value above 30 is considered as Obesity Range.
Note: BMI value does not determine the fatness or the health of the person.
What causes a person to be Overweighed and Obese?
There are many reasons that cause a person to be overweight and obese. Some conditions can be controlled by changing the lifestyle and some might need medical care. The food and activity, environment, emotional factors and even the sleeping schedule of a person can changes the BMI value i.e. the weight of a person changes due to these factors which eventually creates a change in the BMI value too. Whereas in the other hand, genetics, surrounding environment and health issues like PCOD & PCOS also have an impact on BMI.
What are the side-effects of being overweight or obese person?
We all live in an era where being a plus-sized person is not judged. But does that mean that we should not zero in on our health? The disorders such as diabetes, low and high blood pressure, body pains, heart attack, stroke, cholesterol etc. are seen in the younger generation too. This is mainly due to the diet plans of the children. The high amount of fats and junk foods result in overweight or obesity of the children.
Chronic diseases such as coronary heart disease, breathing problems like asthma, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis, cancer etc. are the risk factors of obesity. Being overweight or obese can also disturb a person’s mental health. It can cause clinical depression, anxiety and other mental disorders. Obesity can also be fatal if reached to a critical range.
Note: Overweight and obesity are curable if diagnosed ahead of time.
What can be done to reduce this?
There are several anti-obesity medications that are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Department that can be taken to reduce the risk of obesity. These medications are to be taken as per the advice of your physician. To get detailed information on medications visit the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
What are the precautions that can be taken?
Whatever the case might be, it is always advised that “Prevention is better than cure.” Likewise, even if there are solutions for this illness, it is advisable to prevent it from nearing.
· Say no to funk food: Any food taken in within margin is not bad. Restrict yourself from oily and more fat-containing foodstuffs on regular basis.
· Say no to proceeded and sugary food: These food items contain a large number of preservatives and sugars that increases the risk of obesity and overweight.
· Try to include food with a low Glycemic Index (GI). GI is used to measure how quickly a food item can raise blood pressure.
· Include plenty of dietary fibres, vegetables and fruits in the diet.
· Engage yourself in regular aerobic activities.
· Focus on reducing your stress: Yoga practice and nature travel would be the best choice. Lead a life that is rewarding, there are some who have lost theirs. Stay healthy to lead a beautiful and happy life.